Blogs > From The Bleacher Seats

A roundup of news on sporting events, people and places in Southeast Michigan by columnist Jim Evans.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Shanks for nothing, Tiger Woods




Now I don’t know Tiger Woods personally.
I just know him from what I’ve read; about both the golf course and the bedroom.
He got his way in each venue plenty of times.
I don’t know caddy Steve Williams, either.
But I do know caddying.
I spent a handful of my formative teen years lugging around the bags of country club members. Generally it went well. Most were nice guys. Sometimes, you would run into a real jerk.
I remember one member in particular. He couldn’t hit a ball straight if he was teeing off in a tunnel.  But one afternoon he shanked a  fairway wood and he started shouting obscenities.
They were aimed at me. Somehow, it was my fault his ball wound up out of bounds.
All I could do was mutter to myself, pick up the bag, and go searching for the ball. I was part caddy, part pack mule, and part Sherpa guide.
Woods split with Williams, his longtime caddy, Wednesday.
Tiger announced the split on his website, writing, "I want to express my deepest gratitude to Stevie for all his help, but I think it's time for a change ... I wish (Steve) great success in the future."
So far, no replacement has been named.
But now, Steve has fired back -- saying, "After 13 years of loyal service needless to say this came as a shock. Given the circumstances of the past 18 months working through Tiger’s scandal, a new coach and with it a major swing change ... I am very disappointed to end our very successful partnership at this time."
Steve, I know how you feel. Some guys are real jerks. But most of us already knew that about Tiger Woods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home