Blogs > From The Bleacher Seats

A roundup of news on sporting events, people and places in Southeast Michigan by columnist Jim Evans.

Monday, July 25, 2011

A Beatle, and I'm not talking a Volkswagen


I’m a Beatles fan come lately.
Fifty six years old and I have finally seen the light.
It came in the form of pyrotechnics at Comerica Park in Detroit Sunday night.
It was an amazing, amazing concert by Paul McCartney and his band and I am not one of those folks who worshipped McCartney or even the Beatles when they held the world’s attention hostage for so many years.
I don’t know why, but I guess I never appreciated their immense talent.
Oh, I liked some of their songs, but hardly their entire body of work.
I was always more into Hendrix than Harrison; more into Led Zeppelin than Lennon.
But McCartney, 69, and his band absolutely enthralled the Detroit crowd Sunday. He went at it furiously for three hours. He played lots and lots of Beatles songs. He seemed to enjoy himself, but no more than my wife and I and thousands of others did.
It was undoubtedly one of the best concerts I have ever seen. Congratulations, Sir Paul. It was a royal performance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home