Blogs > From The Bleacher Seats

A roundup of news on sporting events, people and places in Southeast Michigan by columnist Jim Evans.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ears to ya, 60 Second Crush!

I’m not much of a photographer, but I darn sure wish I’d had a camera that night a handful of years ago.
Our youngest son, Jordan, was playing with his band at Paychecks in Hamtramck. This was back when he was in high school, as were all of his bandmates.
My mom, a.k.a., Jordan’s grandma, dutifully was in the crowd.
A few songs into the set, I looked over and there was mom with a death grip on a couple of napkins trying in vain to shove them into each ear.
That band’s name was Aeroplayne and they did not exactly do Sinatra or Benny Goodman, much to my mom’s chagrin.
You have to admire her dedication, though. Every time Aeroplayne was on stage, mom was in the audience.
These days, Aeroplayne is at least a few bands in the rearview mirror for Jordan.
That is why I never recommend bands. Or movies. Or restaurants. Or anything else that is served up with a tube amplifier, hot sauce and subjectivity.

My heavenly music might be your hell on earth, but on Saturday, May 19, I am going to see 60 Second Crush. It’s their CD release show at the Corktown Tavern in Detroit. The tavern is located at 1716 Michigan Avenue. Also on the bill are Superlast and Devil Elvis.
If you are not familiar with 60 Second Crush, let me caution you: if mom was going, she would would have a death grip on a couple of napkins Saturday night.
They don’t do Neil Diamond. They don’t do Neal Sedaka. They don’t even do Vince Neil. What they do is very hard-driving Detroit rock and roll and they do it very, very well.
The show starts at 9 p.m. The cover charge is $7. Maybe I’ll see you there. I’ll be the one without napkins in my ears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home