Blogs > From The Bleacher Seats

A roundup of news on sporting events, people and places in Southeast Michigan by columnist Jim Evans.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Dial 1-800-SUH-HIM

I don’t know Ndamukong Suh.
I mean personally.
All I know is I wouldn’t want to meet him on a football field.
His track record for fair play is not exemplary.
He stomped on an offensive lineman’s arm.
He kicked a quarterback in the crotch.
He blocked another offensive lineman after an interception so hard the poor guy has a concussion and then Suh supposedly  laughed about it.

Do they hand out a sportsmanship award in the NFL? Even so, don’t bother swinging by the banquet, Ndamukong.
Here’s a word of warning to the Lions’ third-year defensive lineman: What goes around comes around. You take enough cheap shots, sooner or later you’ll be on the end of one yourself.
You never know when it is going to happen, either. It might be a guy going for your knees. It might be someone reaching in with a vice-like grip to turn your genitals into Spam. It might be a helmet to the chin that puts you in the Twilight Zone. 
It could be anything at any time, but if you believe in karma, your time is coming.
At first, I did not want to believe you were a dirty player. That was my hometown loyalty showing through. Especially after that rookie season when you were virtually unstoppable.
But the indictments keep piling on. You stomped an arm. You kicked a crotch. You laughed at an injured opponent.
I know that NFL is barely controlled mayhem. I know that it is violence wrapped in corporate niceties and merchandising deals.
I also know there is a time and a place for the snarling chaos. I know there are the rules of the game. There is also the Golden Rule. You don’t seem to want to adhere to either.
Do unto others? Better keep your head on a swivel. Karma might be coming your way sooner than you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home